Friday, July 11, 2008

Two-year reunion


I left Ethiopia on July 2nd, 2006, after a little over two years. Just a little over two years later, I returned for the first time. My boyfriend is there for the summer, and I couldn’t resist the chance to both visit him and reconnect with old friends while I’m such a short flight away. It was just three days, but was so lovely. I visited my old offices, my old house, saw friends, ate delicious food (and got a little sick from some food), and went to new and old haunts. One day, we escaped the city for a newly finished lake-front lodge. I’d actually visited it when it was under construction two years ago, with a friend who is close to the owner. She’s to be married there in October, and I find myself searching for flights, wanting to be there, connected, part of their life, part of life in Addis. . . a thought for later. For now, it was lovely to be somewhere that I know well – a culture and language I came to understand in some way over my time there. It reinforced my desire to live in the Middle East for longer – to be connected to a country here like I’m connected to Ethiopia. Another thought for later. . .

No comments: